A player's first appearance is always special and stories concerning memorable debuts are legion within the game. However, not every debut goes according to plan, especially if you're a goalkeeper…

The Good
Tony Coton's professional career got off to a flying start in 1980 when he saved a penalty with his first touch of the game after just 85 seconds when making his League debut with Birmingham City.

Twenty years on and another young goalkeeper emulated Tony Coton's heriocs by saving a penalty with his first touch of the ball, but in Barry Roche's case, the circumstances were somewhat more dramatic. Roche made his League debut for Nottingham Forest at the end of a Division One clash against Crystal Palace after first choice keeper Dave Beasant was sent off. The first thing the young goalie had to do was to face a penalty - not once but twice. Jason Gray's first spot kick found its mark but the ref ordered the Palace player to retake it after his team-mates encroached into the box. But Gray saw his second effort saved by Roche and Forest held on to win 3-2. The 18-year-old keeper's debut lasted just two minutes but by the time the final whistle blew he was already a hero to the Forest faithful.

In May, 2001, Luton Town's Scott Ward emulated Barry Roche by saving a spot kick after coming on as a sub to make his League debut. 17-year-old Ward replaced the Hatters' regular goalkeeper Mark Ovendale after he was sent off late on in League game against Brentford and made a fine save from Lloyd Owusu's resultant spot-kick. The game ended 2-2.

Playing at Anfield can be a nervy experience at the best of times, but one can only guess what went through West Brom keeper Joe Murphy's mind when he was thrust into the action in September 2002 after Russell Hoult had been sent off. Murphy, who was making his first appearance on the Albion bench, let alone first team, showed no signs of nerves, however, as he saved Michael Owen's penatly kick with his first touch of the game.

Danish keeper Jan Budtz managed to go one better when making his debut for Doncaster Rovers in a Carling Cup Second Round tie against Manchester City in 2005. He came on in the 105th minute for the injured Andy Warrington and then saved two of City's penalties in the subsequent shoot-out to send the League One side through to the next round of the competition.

Marc de Clerc's debut for Aberdeen in 1980 was just as dramatic. After just 22 minutes of play he scored with a goal clearance that bounced straight passed his opposite number.

Ron Springett - In serious moodSheffield Wednesday's Ron Springett (pictured) saved a Jimmy McIlroy penalty on his England debut against Northern Ireland in 1959.

Belgium's Jean-Marie Pfaff also saved a penalty on his international debut against Holland in 1976.

Former Coventry City goalie Reg Matthews made his England debut in 1956 while still playing Third Division football. He went on to win five caps in total to become the most capped Third Division footballerever to play for England.

Crystal Palace's Vic Rouse was a Fourth Division player when he made his international debut for Wales against Northern Ireland in 1959 and was the first player from the League's bottom division to win a full cap (we won't mention the small fact that he conceded four goals...)

Sunderland goalkeeper Derek Foster became the youngest person to play in the First Division when he made his debut against Leicester City at the start of the 1964/65 season aged 15 years and 185 days.

Manchester United's Tim Howard saved two spot kicks on his debut for the Old Trafford side, denying Arsenal's Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Robert Pires as United won the 2003 Community Shield on penalties. Arsenal's Jen Lehmann also made his debut in the same game and saved Ruud Van Nistelrooy's penalty.

Speaking of Manchester United, Fabien Barthez's loan spell at Marsaille in January 2004 got off to a flying start when he made his debut against Strasbourg in a French cup tie. After the game had finished 1-1, Barthez took centre-stage in the penalty shoot-out, saving two and scoring Marsaille's decisive penalty to send them through to the next round!

Peter Brezovan's debut for Swindon Town in 2006 was a dramatic affair, with the keeper saving two penalties, the first of which was after only three minutes. Brezovan first saved from Hartlepool's Joel Porter then from Ritchie Humphreys in the second-half. Town won 1-0.

Having pulled down Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor for the initial foul, Manchester United's Tomasz Kuszczak made ammends by saving Gilberto's penalty in the twelth minute of his debut for the Old Trafford club.

Welsh international Jason Brown also saved a penalty on his debut for Blackburn Rovers, having come on at half-time for the injured Brad Friedel. The former Gillingham keeper stopped Svetoslav Todorov spot-kick - and the follow up - as Rovers beat Wigan Athletic 2-1.

Portuguese keeper Rui Patrício saved a penalty in his first ever senior game as Sporting Lisbon ran out 1-0 winners against Marítimo.

Manchester City keeper Gunnar Nielsen also saved a penalty on his debut for Wrexham against Histon at the start of his loan spell with the Welsh club.

Liechtenstein's Peter Jehle was just sixteen years old when he made his international debut against Azerbaijan in 1998 in what proved to be Liechtenstein's first competitive victory.

Sam Johnson enjoyed a memorable debut for Port Vale in October 2012, helping his side beat Walsall in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after the game finished 2-2. Having said a penalty from his opposite number, Karl Darlow, the 19-year-old debutant stepped up to fire home the winning spot kick in the penalty shoot-out.

Northern Ireland goalkeeper Roy Carroll saved a penalty with his first touch for Olympiakos. Having joined the Greek side in the summer of 2012, Carroll was on the bench against Rubin Kazan in the Europa League when first-choice keeper Balazs Megyeri was sent off after bringing down an opponent, allowing the former Manchester United keeper his moment of glory!

Birmingham City's Jack Butland became England's youngest ever goalkeeper when he made his debut against Italy in 2012, aged 19 years 158 days.

Fellow England goalkeeper John Ruddy saved a penalty on his debut for Cambridge United.

Youngster Ryan Allsop saved the decisive spot-kick during a penalty shoot-out at the end of his Leyton Orient debut. The then 20-year-old keeper's heroics came in a First Round League Cup tie against Charlton Athletic.

Liverpool's new £9 million signing Simon Mignolet saved a Jonathan Walters penalty on the opening day of the 2013/14 season, keeping a clean sheet as his new side beat Stoke City 1-0.

Not to be out done, Hull City's new keeper, Allan McGregor also saved a penalty at the start of the 2013/14 season after just five minutes of the Tigers' game against Chelsea but was unable to prevent the Blues winning 2-0.

Dutch goalkeeper Dorus de Vries saved a penalty on his debut for Dunfermline Athletic during a Scottish League Cup tie against Ayr United. The game ended 0-0 before the Pars won the penalty shoot-out.

The Bad
Les Surman made his debut for Charlton Athletic in 1965 conceded three goals - including a back header from team-mate Billy Bonds in the first minute - and never played for the club again.

Dennis Murray had slightly better luck with Crewe Alexandra. He made one further appearance for the club after he let in nine goals on his debut in 1951.

Former Welsh International Dai Davies managed to score an own goal in the first fifteen minutes of his debut for Everton.

Middlesbrough's Reginald Williamson had the misfortune of scoring an own goal on his international debut in 1905. Only Everton's Richard Wright has managed to do the same in England colours.

In 1934, S. Milton made his debut for Halifax Town against Stockport County. He let in no fewer than 13 goals.

Former Walsall and Southend United goalkeeper Carl Emberson's professional debut was less than auspicious. Selected to play for Millwall against local rivals Crystal Palace in an Anglo-Italian Cup-tie in 1993, he was sent off and never played for the club again…

Another Millwall goalie to suffer an ignominious debut was Fred Fox. Selected to play for England against France in 1925, he was injured while being barged into the net for France's second goal and had to leave the field of play….

There must be something in the water in South London. In April 1947, Tommy Francis played his one and only goal for The Lions and was on the receiving end of a 5-0 drubbing at the hands of Leicester City.

Brian Gambrill was also hit by the Cold Blow Lane curse when he deputised for Alex Stepney in a League Cup tie against Peterborough United at The Den. The former paratrooper let in a couple of howlers as Millwall lost 4-1 at home.

Former Arsenal and Aston Villa goalie Jimmy Rimmer never really had an appetite for the big occasion. He started but never finished his only England match as well as the 1982 European Cup Final. England were already 2-0 down when he was substituted at half time in a game against Italy in 1976 (England came back in the second half to win 3-2).

Bert Williams managed to concede a goal after just 28 seconds on his England debut against France in 1949. Despite this setback, England won 3-1.

The honour (?) of being England's worst ever debutant between the sticks falls to one Conrad Warner, who let in seven in a game against the Auld Enemy in 1878.

Depsite making his debut on his 21st birthday, Packie Bonner's international career with the Republic of Ireland hardly got off to the best of starts as he conceded a goal within 90 seconds of the start against Poland in 1981.

In 1961, Italian goalkeeper Giuseppe Vavassori won his first cap when he came on for the injured Renzo Buffon after the Italian captain had broken his nose on England's Johnny Haynes' knee. He let in two goals, including one that went between his legs, and never played for his country again - his international career lasted 34 minutes.

Another goalie who had a somewhat less than auspicious international career was Northern Ireland keeper Pat Kelly, who conceded eight goals on his debut against Scotland in 1949. Unsurprisingly, he was never picked for his country again.

Hugh Kelly (no relation) conceded nine on his international debut against England in 1949 in Ireland's very next game.

One goalkeeper who could have sympathised with Kelly was Irishman J. Hamilton, who had the distinction of being Ireland's first ever international keeper. He let in 13 as England notched up their biggest ever victory in a first class international.

Former Southampton goalie Peter Wells had a debut he'd rather forget when he went on loan to Millwall during the 1982/83 season, letting in five as Huddersfield Town demolished The Lions at Leeds Road.

Conversely, Tim Flowers must have wished he hadn't got clearance to play for Stockport County in time to face Millwall in a First Division clash in October 2001. He ended up on the receiving end of a 4-0 thumping as The Lions ran rampant. Only the timely intervention of two defenders on the goal-line prevented a heavier scoreline. The former England international had gone on-loan to the Hatters in attempt to resurrect his career and only met his new teammates in the dressing room beforehand.

Another keeper to be on the receiving end of a four goal thumping from Millwall on his debut was Watford's Joe Hewitt, who had a torrid time at The Den in 1927.

Just over thirty years later it was Ken Hancock's turn to suffer at the hands of The Lions. The debutant Port Vale keeper was helpless as Millwall won 4-2 in December 1958 but went on to play over 240 games for the Staffordshire club.

Andy Goram would probably rather forget his return to Oldham. He let in seven as Cardiff City ran riot in February, 2002. He then went on to let in five on his debut for Scottish side, Elgin City.

Charlton Athletic's Paul Rachubka suffered a similar fate when he went on-loan to Northampton Town and was on the receiving end of a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Mansfield Town.

Despite having an otherwise superb game, Crewe keeper Ben Williams will always remember his debut at Gretsy Road for the wrong reasons after he managed to score an own goal against Cardiff City in March 2004. Admittedly there was an element of rotten luck about it, but what made it seem so much worse was the fact it was the only goal of the game.

Andy Marshall probably had second thoughts following his debut after he accepted the offer of a loan move to Wolverhampton Wanderers. The former Norwich City and Ipswich Town goalkeeper was beaten five times by Arsenal in his one and only game for the Midlands club.

There must be something about goalkeeping and the name Marshall. Celtic goalkeeper David Marshall had something of a nightmare start to his international career when he was selected to play for Scotland against Hungary in 2004. The Hungarians were gifted their third goal when Scottish defender Steven Pressley managed to cannon a clearance off of Marshall and into the back of the Scotland net, leaving the young debutant with an own goal against his name.

Drafted in on a short-term contract to replace the injured James Walker during 2003-04 season, Australian keeper Andy Petterson still gives Walsall fans nightmares. He conceded six goals on his debut as Coventry City ran rampant and was released after just three games.

Charlton goalkeeper Mike Salmon only played once for Oxford United - but it was still enough to be voted the club's worst ever player in a recent magazine poll. Signed on loan late one Friday evening in 1998, he made his debut the following day at the Manor Ground against Birmingham City and promptly let in seven goals. The 7-1 scoreline remains The U's biggest ever home defeat.

Albert Davies football career was very fleeting indeed. Having been stationed in Germany with the British Army, he returned home to his native Greenwich and was quickly snapped up by local side Millwall. But after a 3-0 reverse on his debut away to Queens Park Rangers, Davies was never selected again for The Lions or any other club.

It's fair to say that the start of Iain Turner's career with Everton has been less than auspicious. Having conceded four against Chelsea on his debut for The Toffees in the FA Cup on the Wednesday, he managed to get sent off after only nine minutes on his Premiership debut against Blackburn Rovers the following Saturday. His replacement against Rovers, fellow debutant John Ruddy, fared slightly better and kept a clean sheet.

A product of Hartlepool's Youth Development programme, Pools fans must have wondered what was going on with the club's youth set-up when goalkeeper Jim Provett made his senior debut in the LDV Vans Trophy in 2002 against Tranmere Rovers and promptly conceded five goals.

Steve Phillips' Bristol Rovers career didn't get off to the most auspicious of starts in August 2006 as Peterborough United fired four past him, including three before half-time.

French goalkeeper Lionel Cappone's debut for FC Lorient in October 2006 lasted all of 12 minutes, if that. Brought on for the injured Fabien Audard, he was sent off for a foul on the opposition's striker and had to be replaced by midfielder Ulrich Le Pen, who kept a clean sheet as Lorient beat Valenciennes 1-0.

In 2000, West Ham United somehow managed to give debuts to two different goalkeepers in consecutive games who then went on to concede four goals. First up was Stephen Bywater, who, at the age of 18, was handed his debut by manager Harry Redknapp after Shaka Hislop broke his leg in the opening minutes of an away game against Bradford City. The youngster was beaten four times before The Hammers came back to win the game 5-4 but Redknapp had seen enough to know that Bywater wasn't ready (That said, Bywater's let in six on his one and only appearance for his previous club Rochdale in an Auto Windscreen Shield tie against Carlisle United so Redknapp must have had some inkling). The call went out for a goalkeeper to be brought in on an emergency loan and they ended up with Charlton Athletic's Sasa Ilic, who had fallen out of favour at The Valley. A 4-0 reverse followed and Ilic was on his way back to the South East London club after just one game.

Youngster Aaron Grundy was thrust into the limelight during the 2005/06 season after Bury's first-choice keeper Craig Dootson was shown the red card early on during their Football League Trophy tie against Halifax Town. The Shakers struggled to cope with only ten men and Grundy was on the receiving end of a 6-1 defeat in his first professional game.

Another keeper at the wrong end of a 6-1 scoreline on his debut was Ipswich Town goalie Paul Overton, who made his debut for the blues a week before their FA Cup Final in 1978 against Aston Villa. Villa ran rampant in what proved to be Overton's only ever League game, despite spells with Peterborough United and Northampon Town after he left Portman Road.

Crystal Palace's Julián Speroni failed to make a good first impression for The Eagles following his £500,000 transfer from Dundee after he failed to wrong-foot Everton striker Kevin Campbell, needlessly giving away a penalty after dithering on the ball. Palace were 1-0 up at the time and went on to lose 3-1 with Speroni losing his place in the side after Palace failed to pick up a single point from the first five games in which the Argentine goalkeeper featured.

Fellow Argentine and World Cup winner Ubaldo Fillol had something of a nightmare when he made his professional debut in a First Division game between Quilmes and Huracán at the end of the 1969 campaign. He let in six as Quilmes lost 6-3 and was forced to sit on the bench the following season.

Spare a thought for Germany's first ever international goalkeeper, Fritz Baumgarten. On April 5th, 1908 the BFC Germania player lined up in Switzerland as part of his country's first ever football side only to go on to lose 5-3 to the Swiss. It was his only appearance and he was never picked again.

Peru's Juan Valdivieso was beaten in the first minute of his international debut against Romania in the 1930 World Cup Finals. They lost 3-1.

Scotland's youngest ever goalkeeper, Sandy McLaren, conceded five goals on his international debut again Wales in 1932 at the tender age of 18.

Another goalkeeper to concede five on their international debut was Bulgaria's Nikolay Mihaylov, who was between the sticks during their 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Scotland during the 1996 Kirin Cup tournament in Japan.

England international David James probably wondered what he'd let himself in for when he made his debut for Bristol City at the start of the 2010/11 season. Having joined the West Country club in a high-profile move from Portsmouth, the former Liverpool and Aston Villa keeper conceded three against newly promoted Millwall, much to the amusement of the Sunday tabloids, and but for the woodwork it could have been a lot worse.

New Zealand test cricketer Don McRae probably wished he'd stuck to leather and willow following his debut for the Kiwis in 1936. He conceded seven as Australia ran riot in a 7-1 victory and never played for his country again.

Ernesto Oliveira let in five goals on his debut for the Portugeuse national side in a 5-3 defeat to England in 1950.

Having worked his way up as an apprentice and waited patiently for his first appearance, Billy O'Rourke was finally handed his Burnley debut in October 1979 - but it couldn't have come at a worst time. With the Clarets struggling at the foot of the table the teenage keeper was unable to stem the tide and left the field in tears as his side lost 7-0 to a rampant Queens Park Rangers side in front of the Match of the Day cameras.

Victor Ottoboni let in eight goals on his only appearance for the United States, an 8-1 defeat to England in 1959.

Dutch international Michel Vorm's had a busy debut for new club Swansea City at the beginning of the 2011/12 Premier League season. Despite making more saves than any other keeper on the opening weekend, he still managed concede four goals as Manchester City ran riot. Vorm did make amends on his home debut the following week, saving 72nd minute Ben Watson penalty to ensure a 0-0 draw against Wigan Athletic.

You could argue that Brazilian keeper Rodrigo Galatto bore the brunt of the blame when his new team, Swiss side Neuchatel Xamax, lost their opening fixture of the 2011/2012 season 3-0 to FC Luzern. Chairman Bulat Chagaev sacked him straight after the final whistle.

Jesse Whatley conceded five goals when making his debut for Bristol Rovers against Norwich City during the 1919/20 season. However this didn't appear to hamper his chances with The Pirates as he went on to make 386 League appearances for the club.

Finland's Anssi Jaakkola was also beaten five times on his international debut against Sweden in 2010.

Scottish goalkeeper Paul Jarvie played just once for Torquay United - one of seven that went between the sticks for The Gulls during the 2004/05 season - and conceded three goals in the first thirty minutes as Barnsley ran rampant in an eventual 4-1 victory.

Pat Jennings junior, son of former Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal goalkeeper Pat, had the misfortune to score an own goal on his debut for Glenavon.

Mark Tyler's Peterborough United career did not get off to the best of starts when he was handed his debut at the age of 17 away to Birmingham City. The youngster was beaten four times but still went on to make over 400 appearances for The Posh.

Chris Mann was hopeful of keeping a clean sheet when he made his debut for Port Vale against Swindon Town at the end of the 2007/08 season. They lost 6-0.

Italian Davide Faraon would probably rather forget his one and only appearance for the Italy Under-20 side. Brought on at half-time during their Four Nations Tournament game against Switzerland, Faraon conceded all three goals as the Swiss ran out 3-1 winners.

Ray Davey conceded six on his debut for New Zealand against South Africa in 1947. The match ended 6-5.

Former Russia and Chelsea goalkeeper Dmitri Kharine had a less than auspicious start to his career with non-league Hornchurch in 2002 after he was sent off on his debut.

Five minutes into his Tottenham Hotspur career, Norwegian keeper Erik Thorstvedt gifted Nottingham Forest's Nigel Clough a goal after he dropped the ball at the feet of the striker.

Robert Green will remember his Queen's Park Rangers debut for all the wrong reasons. One of a number of high-profile summer signings at Loftus Road, Green and his new teammates were thrashed 5-0 by Swansea City on the opening day of the 2012/13 season.

Having enjoyed three relatively successful loan spells with Torquay United, goalkeeper Michael Poke finally signed for The Gulls on a permanent basis in the summer of 2012 but was unable to stop Leicester City putting four past him on his fourth debut for the Devon club in the First Round of the League Cup that August.

It's fair to say that Italian club AlbinoLeffe went a little "demob happy" at the end of the 2008/09 season when they put their fourth choice keeper, Andrea Offredi, on the bench then elected to bring him on at half-time when they were 1-0 up against Ancona. The unfortunate Offredi let in four in what proved to be his only appearance for the club as they lost 4-3.

Ernesto Oliveira conceded five on his international debut for Portugal against England in 1950.

Everton's Jimmy O'Neill's international career could have been over before it really started after the Republic of Ireland were hammered 6-0 by Spain in Madrid on his debut in June, 1952. However, the Irish selectors were quick to realise that it was the defenders in front of him who were responsible for the goals rather than the keeper and awarded O'Neill a further 16 caps.

Another goalie who was given a second chance was China's Ou Chuliang, who let in five on his debut in a friendly against Canada in 1992. He went on to win 75 caps for his country.

In 1936, New Zealand's Alf Smith conceded all ten goals as Australia beat their close neighbours in an international friendly 10-0 (still the nation's heaviest football defeat). He faired slightly better on his second appearance, also against Australia, but the All Whites still lost 4-1.

Fred Martin's debut for Aberdeen is best remembered for the own goal he scored when he fumbled a last minute cross into the back of the net to round off a 3-1 defeat against East Fife in 1949. He went on to play over 200 times for The Dons and was capped six times by Scotland.

New Zealand's Bob King conceded six on his debut against Australia in 1948. He let in seven in his second game and eight in his third, also against Australia. Unsurprisingly, he was never picked again.

Peter Keen was beaten five times on his Carlisle United debut and was promptly dropped for four months.

Albania's Blendi Nallbani conceded five on his international debut in 1989 against England at Wembley. However the then 17-year-old earned rave reviews for his performance and was credited with keeping the score down.

Portugal's Neno was beaten four times in a friendly against Brazl, also in 1989.

In 1895, Southampton's Tom Cain was beaten seven times on his debut against Clapton.

George Lawton conceded four goals on his only appearance for Stoke City against Bury in 1901.

Brazil put seven past Venezula's debutant keeper Renny Vega in 1999.

José Veiga was beaten four times when he made his first start for Hereford United against Hartlepool in 2009.

Eddie Edgar played just one for Newcastle United during a two-year spell with the Magpies, conceding four against Derby County in an FA Cup quarter final in 1976.

Danish-born Svend Engedal was beaten six times on his debut for the USA against Mexico in April, 1957. He didn't fair much better in his second appearance, also against Mexico, as the States lost 7-2.

Signed by Norwich City in the summer of 2009, Australian Michael Theoklitos was installed as first choice keeper at Carrow Road for the new season but in his first game for the club he conceded seven goals as East Anglian rivals Colchester United ran riot. He was quickly demoted to third choice by new manager Paul Lambert and never played for the club again.

Poor Jack Bonham's Watford debut couldn't have come in a bigger game when he was thrown into the deep end in the club's last game of the regular 2012/13 season against Leeds United. Having already lost first choice keeper Manuel Almunia just prior to the game, reserve keeper Jonathan Bond was badly injured after 24 minutes and replaced by youth team graduate Bonham. A win would have seen the Hornets promoted to the Premier League but two errors from the rookie keeper - colliding with his own defender for Leeds' first and spilling a McCormack shot in the last minute - saw the Yorkshiremen take all three points and condemn Watford to the play-offs.

Ken Ashbridge conceded four goals on his one and only appearance for Burnley against Manchester United in 1936. He made one more league appearance for Halifax Town before retiring.

West Bromwich Albion's George Ashmore was beaten five times as Blackburn ran riot on his Baggies debut in a 5-1 victory in 1920. He went on to play over 250 times for the Midlands side.

Len Beel's only appearance for Birmingham City was an eventful affair. Having already been relegated, the Blues gave Beel a run out for their final home game of the season against Blackburn Rovers, which ended 5-5.

Spare a thought for 18-year-old Radu Mitu, who made his debut for Moldovan side Milsami Ursidos in May 2013. The youngster had the misfortune of throwing the ball into his own net after making a comfortable save much to the amusement of You Tube views the world over.

New club, new season but for Portsmouth's John Sullivan the opening game of the 2013/14 season did not go exactly to plan. Despite Pompey being favourites for the League Two title and playing at home, Sullivan conceded four as Oxford United celebrated their return to the football league in style.

Jim Roach was hit for seven when he made his debut for Small Heath (later to become better known as Birmingham City) against neighbours Aston Villa in September 1895. The match ended 7-3 in Villa's favour.

Borussia Mönchengladbach's Marc-André ter Stegen had the misfortune of letting in five on his debut for Germany against Switzerland in May 2012. The 5-3 defeat ultimately cost ter Stegen his place in Germany's Euro 2012 squad.

Mike Craven's debut for Chester City was one to forget as they crashed to a 6-0 defeat at the hands of Brighton & Hove Albion in September, 1975. He played a total of just four games in the Football League.

And The Quirky
Budgie BurridgeScottish keeper Jimmy McAulay played as a centre forward when he won his first cap against Wales in 1882.

Veteran goalie John 'Budgie' Burridge made his Premiership debut at the ripe old age of 43 when he turned out for Manchester City in 1995.

In 1947, New Brighton manager Neil McBain discovered that he didn't have a goalkeeper available for one match so the former Everton centre-half went in himself. In doing so, he became the oldest player ever to have played a professional League game, at the tender age of 52 years and four months. New Brigton lost 3-0.

Alexander Morten was possibly England's oldest debutant when he turned out against Scotland in 1873. Confusion over the year of his birth has meant that no one is really sure whether Morten was 40 or 42 when he kept goal. What is certain is that he was England's first ever goalkeeping captain and if he was born in 1831 it would make him England's oldest debutant, goalkeeper and captain!

In 1967, Celtic's Ronnie Simpson became Scotland's oldest ever debutant - and possibly the oldest post-war international debutant ever - when he turned out against England at Wembley at the age of 36. Twenty-two years earlier, Simpson set another Scottish record as the League's youngest ever debutant when he was selected for Queen's Park in 1945 at the tender age of 14.

Former Silkeborg IF goalkeeper Peter Kjær made his international debut for Denmark at the age of 35 in 2001, a Danish record.

Richard Wright certainly won't forget his international debut in a hurry. Having been selected to play against Malta in England's last warm-up match before Euro 2000, the 22-year-old keeper conceded two penalties, scored an own goal and was booked. He managed to avoid having a complete nightmare by saving Malta's second penalty to secure a 2-1 victory.

Another Euro 2000 keeper who won't forget his international debut in a hurry is Spain's Jose Molina. He came on as an outfield player during a 0-0 against Norway in 1996 after Spain ran out of match-fit players.

In 1875, William Carr, of Sheffield side Owlerton, arrived 15 minutes late for his international debut. It turned out to be his one an only game for England. He was the first international to play less than 90 minutes of football.

Scotland's Alan Rough won his first cap after first choice keeper David Harvey of Leeds United withdrew from the squad because two of the cows on his Yorkshire farm were about to give birth...

Rupert Anderson was just 19 years old when he won his one and only cap for England back in 1879. Nothing unusual about that except he played up front for his club Old Etonians and he was capped when selected goalie Rev W. Blackmore withdrew before the game. A snowbound pitch reduced his international career to a total of 60 minutes.

Former England keeper Chris Woods hadn't even made his League debut when he won a League Cup Winner's medal at the tender age of 18 with Nottingham Forest in 1978. He also picked up a couple of European Cup Winner's medals as a non-playing substitute before eventually making his League debut with Queens Park Rangers.

Dinamo Tbilisi's 17-year-old Giorgi Makaridze has the odd distinction of making his international debut before he had even turned out for his club side. Georgia's third-choice goalkeeper started against Scotland in a Euro 2008 qualifier in October 2007 and kept a clean sheet as they ran out 2-0 winners.

Nicky Culkin's Manchester United career was over almost as quickly as it started. Signed from York City in 1995, the youngster finally made his debut at the start of the 1999/2000 season when he came on for the injured Raimond Van Der Gouw at the end of a league game vs Arsenal. Unfortunately for Culkin, he just had enough time to take a goal kick before the ref blew for full time. His Manchester United career lasting all of six seconds! He was eventually released in 2002 and went on to play for Queens Park Rangers.

Morton Betts played in goal in his only international game for England, but was often a full back at club level and scored the only goal in the first ever FA Cup Final while playing up front.

When Ian Walker made his debut for Tottenham Hotspur, his dad Mike was manager of the opposition, Norwich City.

Manchester United's Spanish goalkeeper Ricardo had an eventful Premiership debut. After coming on for the injured Fabien Barthez during a game against Blackburn Rovers, his first contribution to the game was to haul down Rovers' striker Andy Cole for a penatly. By rights, he should have been sent off but he wasn't and made up for his error by saving David Dunn's subsequent spot-kick.

In 1958, Millwall's new signing Reg Davies turned up at Fellows Park, Walsall, to watch The Lions play The Saddlers in a League game and ended up making his debut when Syd Morgan was injured in the warm-up. Davies then had to replace his olive green jersey at half time because the referee couldn't distinguish him from his blue-clad teammates under the ground's floodlights.

Former Celtic keeper James Kennaway somehow managed to make his international debut three times. In 1928 he made his first appearance on the international scene for Canada against the USA. He then turned out between the sticks for the USA against Canada in 1930 before finally being capped by Scotland in 1933!

Former Charlton Athletic and Greenock Morton goalkeeper Charlie Wright had a strange international debut to say the least. Despite being born in Glasgow, he was called up by the Football Association of Hong Kong while on National Service in 1960 and played against Peru, saving a penalty in the process. The whole experience led to him being named Hong Kong Footballer of the Year.

Aston Villa's Nigel Spink had only made on league start when he was called upon to make his European debut in the final of the European Cup against Bayern Munich. He came on as a first half substitute for Jimmy Rimmer and kept as clean sheet as the Midlands side won 1-0.

In 1999, former Kidderminster Harriers' keeper Darren Steadman was granted a provisional day release from prison as part of a pre-release rehabilitation programme in order to make his debut for Dr. Martens outfit Worcester City in a reserve game against Telford United. Steadman, who was serving time for financial irregularities, played his part in a 5-1 victory before being driven back to jail by the authorities.

Italy's Francesco Toldo made his international debut in 1995 after Luca Bucci was sent off after only nine minutes in a game against Croatia.

In November 2005, Millwall Football Club found themselves in a spot of bother when a combination of injuries, unexpected retirements and cup-tied loan players conspired to leave them without a goalkeeper for their Fourth Round Carling Cup clash against Birmingham City. With time running out, they were allowed to bring in a goalkeeper on a seven-day emergency loan deal and duly signed Chelsea's Lenny Pidgeley, who went on to make his one and only appearance of the season for The Lions against City, saving Jermaine Pennant's spot kick in the subsequent penalty shoot-out to boot! Pidgeley later signed for the South London club on a permanent basis, making his second debut the following season. He stayed with the club for three years before leaving for Carlisle United... making his debut against The Lions in August 2009 at The Den once again, his third at the same stadium in just under four years!

Bolton Wanderers Sam Ashton made his debut for The Trotters as a centre forward after coming on for Jared Borgetti in the dying minutes of an FA Cup tie against Watford in 2006. Manager Sam Allardyce described the move as late Christmas present for a goalkeeper who has also played in defence when needed for Bolton's Youth team.

Former Wales international Paul Jones managed to achieve a rather special feat during the 2005/06 season by his debut for and against the same club during the same campaign. The ex-Southampton and Wolves keeper made his debut while on-loan at Millwall against Bristol Rovers in the Carling Cup in August and then made his first start for his new club Queens Park Rangers against The Lions the following February. The veteran goalie kept a clean sheet on both occasions.

Irish international Con Martin started his career as a goalkeeper but later played both centre-forward and centre-half for Aston Villa before returning to his rightful place between the sticks during the 1951/52 season. In all, Martin was capped in five different positions by Ireland, including goalkeeper.

Former Welsh international Andy Dibble got an unexpected present for his 17th birthday when turned up at Ninian Park to carry out his apprentice chores one Saturday afternoon in May, 1982. He was told he'd be making his league debut for Cardiff City that afternoon after first choice keeper Ron Healey dropped out of the side due to illness just an hour before kick-off.

Born in South Africa to Dutch parents, Ajax's Hans Vonk may have never played international football if it wasn't for a South African football magazine, who uncovered his eligibility which in turn lead to a call-up by the Bafana Bafana management team.

Gary Sprake's debut for Leeds United in 1962 was something of a dramatic affair after United's original first choice fell ill with a stomach complaint on the morning of the game against Southampton. With Sprake back in Leeds, the club paid for a chartered flight to get him to the game and the match was delayed to give the future Welsh international the chance to get to the ground, change and warm up!

Leeds United's Neil Sullivan ended up playing for Scotland after joking about his Scottish ancestry in a newspaper interview after being beaten by a David Beckham shot from the half-way line whilst playing for Wimbledon.

Italian goalkeeper Christian Abbiati's debut for AC Milan was a brief affair. Having signed from Monza, he made his debut as 92nd minute substitue for the injured Sebastiano Rossi.

Henrique Hilário probably didn't expect to start a game for Chelsea during the 2006/07 season, let alone a Champions League game, but injuries to both of The Blues' first choice keepers during a game against Reading thrust the Portugese goalie into the spotlight. Having had Petr Cech carried off in the first minute against The Royals with a serious head injury, the last thing boss Jose Mourinho would've wanted to see was his second-choice goalkeeper carried off as well but an injury in added-on time saw to that and forced the Chelsea manager to turn to his as yet untried third choice keeper for the game against Barcelona. And with the whole world watching, Hilário repaid his manager's faith by keeping a clean sheet.

Tom Farquharson, who kept goal for Cardiff City when they beat Arsenal in the 1927 FA Cup Final, played international football for both Ireland (now Northern Ireland) and the Irish Free State (now the Republic of Ireland) during the inter-war years.

Former Tottenham Hotspur and Watford goalkeeper Espen Baardsen played more than twenty times for Norway's Under-21 side and won another four caps for the senior national team, despite previously turning out for the United States Under-18 side and never having lived in Norway.

Stirling Albion's Scott Christie made his debut for the Scottish side at the tender age of 16... As a defender in a 3-0 victory over Brechin City!

It's not unusual for a goalkeeper to play against his former club, but for a goalie to make his debut not once but twice against one of his former clubs is unheard of. However former Millwall goalkeeper Tony Warner managed to do just that in the space of two months during the 2008/09 season. In January 2009 he made his debut for Hull City against The Lions in an FA Cup Fourth Round tie then six weeks later he faced his former club again after joining Leicester City on an emergency loan deal. On both occasions he kept a clean sheet.

Former Northern Ireland international goalkeeper Maik Taylor was beaten by an 80-yard drop kick on his debut for Barnet by his opposite number in the Hereford United goal, Chris Mackenzie.

In March, 2008, Phillip Palethorpe finally made his League debut when he came on for the injured John Danby during Chester City's game against Darlington. Despite having had two spells with Tranmere Rovers as well as two seasons with The Seals it proved to be Palethorpe's only first-class appearance of his career.

Sverre Lie saved a penalty in Norway's first ever international match against Sweden in 1908. Unfortunately he also conceded eleven as the Swedes triumphed 11-3.

On paper, Stoke City's Asmir Begovic international debut for Bosnia-Herzegovina wasn't that unusual, coming on for the injured Kenan Hasagic in injury time. What was unusual was that it was the fifth international game in a row that he had sat on the bench, being an unused sub the previous four times. Nothing unusual about that you may think. Except the first two times he was on the bench for Canada, the second two Bosnia and was apparently still considering his options internationally when Hasagic got injured.

Eldin Jakupović went one better than Begovic and was capped by both Bosnia & Herzegovina and Switzerland at Under-21 level. He was also selected at senior level by both countries before finally declaring his allegiences to the Swiss.

In April 2010, an injury crisis at Dens Park saw Dundee's goalkeeping coach Bobby Geddes make his debut for the club at the ripe old age of 49!

Brian Potter's Raith Rovers career may have been rather short and sweet but it was all the more memorable as result. His only his appearance for the club came as a substitute in the Semi-Final of the 1994-95 Scottish League Cup after first choice keeper Scott Thomson was sent off against Airdrie. Potter saved Alan Lawrence's penalty in the subsequent shoot-out to send The Rovers through to the final where they beat Celtic, earning the youngster a winner's medal. However, his spot in the limelight was very brief and he never played for the club again.

In September 1905, West Ham United's new signing George Kitchen scored on his debut against Swindon Town from the penalty spot.

Not many goalkeepers can claim to have made their debuts in a Cup Final but East Fife's Gordon Easson can do just that. Back in 1950, the 20-year-old Easson was picked to face Rangers in the Scottish FA Cup Final after first choice keeper John Niven and reserve John McGarrity were both ruled out through injury. Unfortunately there was not fairy tale ending for Easson, who conceded a goal after just thirty seconds, as East Fife lost 3-0.

In 1954, 17-year-old goalkeeper Jim Furnell was without a club and forced to sign on. During an interview with his local unemployment office, Furnell informed the clerk that he was an out-of-work keeper, who duly arranged for him to have a trial with Burnley. Furnell impressed the Clarets' coaching staff enough to be awarded a contract in November 1954. He went on to make over 400 league appearances, including spells with Liverpool and Arsenal and was voted Plymouth Argyle's greatest goalkeeper of all-time in a 2007 poll.

José Manuel Ochotorena's debut for Spain was rather uneventful, after he came on for Andoni Zubizarreta for the final ten minutes in a friendly with Poland in 1989. It proved to be his one and only cap but he still made into the Spanish squad for the 1990 World Cup Finals.

When Australia went to the 1974 World Cup Finals in West Germany they did so with two uncapped goalkeepers and a first-choice who was born in Scotland. Having played twice for Hibs followed by a spell with Washington Whips in the US, Jack Reilly had lived in Oz less than a year when he won his first cap and went to the finals firmly establish in the Socceroos goal. Neither Jim Milisavljevic or Allan Maher had made appearance when they were called up. Maher went on to win 21 caps but Milisavljevic never made the first team.

Another Aussie goalkeeper to have the misfortune not to win a cap was Peter Fuzes, who made two 'B' appearances for Australia against Scotland in 1967. The Scottish squad were due to play three full internationals on a short tour Down Under but suffered a number of high-profile withdrawls and rather than replace them, the Scottish FA sent a reduced squad - which included future Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson. After much criticism in the press, the SFA decided downgrade the games. Having been injured in the third and final game, Fuzes was not selected again and never won a full cap.

After being released by Blackburn Rovers in 1913, Jimmy Ashcroft was forced to place an ad in The Athletic News, which led to him being signed by Tranmere Rovers and making his debut the following season.